"Doug's Last Birthday" is the first episode of Doug in the Disney era (known in this era as "Disney's Doug", previously "Brand Spankin' New Doug"). It first aired on September 7, 1996, on ABC.
Doug is becoming overwhelmed with all the changes that are going on around him, his friends, and life in general.
Since this is the first episode in the Disney era, there are many changes in the characters and settings:
- The Honker Burger has been remodeled as "Chez Honque" after Edwina Klotz sells the trailer park due to the old Middle School having a termite problem.
- Connie Benge is thinner after going to summer camp.
- Roger Klotz has combed his hair back, and his black leather jacket is sleeveless.
- Skeeter Valentine wears a long-sleeved T-shirt that's the same color of his short-sleeved T-shirt from the Nickelodeon era.
- Patti Mayonnaise has her hair cut short. She also announces that she's going to be home-schooled during the early hours of the morning.
- Judy Funnie wears a black short-sleeved T-shirt.
- Doug Funnie's white T-shirt has longer sleeves.
- Smash Adams is portrayed by a different actor.
- The Beets deliver a farewell concert due to disputes against each other.
- Phil and Theda Funnie announce that they're going to have a baby.
- As of this episode, the episode format is 22 minutes, making each episode full-length.