- Doug Funnie (debut)
- Judy Funnie (debut)
- Phil Funnie (debut)
- Theda Funnie (debut)
- Porkchop (debut)
- Mr. Bud Dink (debut)
- Mrs. Tippi Dink (debut)
- Mayor Robert "Bob" White (debut)
- Skeeter Valentine (debut)
- Patti Mayonnaise (debut)
- Roger Klotz (debut)
- Boomer Bledsoe (debut)
- Ned Cauphee (debut)
- Willie White (debut)
We find the Funnie family have moved from Bloatsburg and are just arriving at their new home in the town of Bluffington. Eleven-and-a-half-year-old Douglas Yancey "Doug" Funnie writes his thoughts in his journal and worries he won't be able to make any friends. On a search to find food for his family, Doug meets his friendly but eccentric next door neighbor Mr. Dink. He shows Doug a video about Bluffington and introduces him to the popular hangout fast food restaurant called The Honker Burger. When Doug gets to the hangout, he meets Skeeter Valentine who befriends him right away. Doug also meets Patti Mayonnaise and right away, develops a crush on her. However, all is not well when he also meets the local bully Roger Klotz who tricks Doug into believing he has to catch a monster called a Neematoad at Stinsen's Pond in Bluffington to be a town hero.
Doug Funnie arrives with his family as they prepare to move into Bluffington. As the population sign grows to 20,001, Doug feels that he's the one.
After his family moves to the house, Mr. Funnie gives Doug some money to find some fast burgers for the family. During the search, Doug and his dog Porkchop come across Mr. Bud Dink, who shows Doug and Porkchop a video filmed by Mayor White telling about the city, the Honker Burger and the mythical Neematoads in Stinsen's Pond. After seeing the Honker Burger, Doug decided to go there and Mr. Dink gives him directions.
On his way to the Honker Burger, Doug fantasizes everyone laughing at him on stage while the mayor calls him a loser and ends up inadvertently standing in the middle of traffic. When Doug reaches the Honker Burger, his normal speech is nothing but gibberish to the cashier woman. A blue kid known as "Skeeter" (short for Mosquito) uses Honker Burger lingo to order for Doug, and introduces himself and his friends. When Doug runs to get his order, he's distracted by the sight of a blonde girl on a bicycle whom he automatically falls for. In his distraction, he slips on a ketchup packet and lands near the suede shoes of local bully Roger Klotz, while the ketchup lands directly on his left shoe. Unadmittedly angered, Roger and his goons take Doug to the dumpsters where the tell him he'll be a popular kid if he catches a Neematoad at the pond. Roger tells Doug to meet them at 7:00 AM.
When Doug and Porkchop walk to the pond, Doug sees the blonde girl again, and accidentally falls down in the swamp to the feet of Roger. Roger tells him that he must wave his wings like a chicken and make a cuckoo sound (which Roger calls a mating call) if he's to catch a Neematoad. Doug attempts this for a while, but hears Roger and the others laughing at him. As Doug confronts Roger, the group hears a rumble in the bushes which turns out to be a Neematoad. Doug finds out it's merely Porkchop in a bunch of mud, but the others believe it's a real Neematoad. Doug and Porkchop play their prank until Roger tells Doug to catch it. When Doug bags Porkchop, Roger decides he'll catch one.
Back at the Honker Burger, Doug tells Skeeter and his friends about Porkchop's prank, but Skeeter believes Porkchop is a real Neematoad. Doug then sees the blond girl again, who Skeeter says is Patti Mayonnaise. After Doug accidentally slips under her table, Patti's revealed to be quite nice. At home after Doug washes Porkchop clean, Doug writes in his journal about his new friends and acquaintances, but wonders where Roger is. Roger has been trying to catch a Neematoad even until nightfall.
- This episode aired on the same date as the two other original Nicktoons shows Rugrats and Ren and Stimpy.
- This is the first full-length episode of the series, and the only one in the first season.
- Running Gag - Doug getting distracted by Patti which usually ends up with him on the ground next to someone's feet.
- This is even noticed by Roger. "You're forming some bad habits, Funnie!"
- Error - When Phil plants the mailbox on their property, another mailbox is seen on the exact same spot, but it was missing in the previous scene.
- Error - When Roger and his gang are laughing after Doug found out it was a setup, the camera pans to Doug while he's talking and half of Willie's body appears in the shot, but is not moving even though his laugh is audible.
- A "nematode" is a microscopic organism.
- The song the movers are playing on the piano is a ragtime version of the Doug theme song.
- Roger mentioning the ketchup on his "new suede shoes" may be a reference to Blue Suede Shoes, a song by Elvis Presley or Walking In Memphis by Marc Cohn, which also mentions "blue suede shoes".
- When Doug realizes he is being set up by Roger, he fantasizes about everyone laughing at him. Beebe Bluff appears in this fantasy although this episode takes place before he met her.
- From this episode until the show's initial series finale, episodes would typically air on Sunday mornings at 10:00 am EST.
Doug Bags a Neematoad • Doug Can't Dance • Doug Gets Busted • Doug's Dog Date • Doug's Big Nose • Doug Takes a Hike • Doug Rocks • Doug Can't Dig It • Doug Didn't Do It • Doug, Mayor for a Day • Doug's No Dummy • Doug's Cool Shoes • Doug to the Rescue • Doug Gets His Ears Lowered • Doug on the Wild Side • Doug's Big Catch • Doug Needs Money • Doug's Runaway Journal • Doug's Doodle • Doug's Cookin' • Doug Loses Dale • Doug is Quailman • Doug Out in Left Field • Doug's Fair Lady • Doug Says Goodbye
Note:This transcript is incomplete
The episode opens with a shot of Doug's father viewing a map of Bluffington as he's driving the family car. The camera pans over to Doug Funnie, who is sitting in the back seat, writing down his thoughts in a red journal.
Doug: Dear Journal, It's me, Doug. Y'know last week my life was just about perfect. When all of the sudden my dad said the two most feared words in the whole world, "we're moving." (As Doug finishes writing, the car hits a bump which causes his pen to squirt ink over his page.)
Doug: "Dad, could you try to dodge the bumps I'm getting ink blots on my journal."
Phil: Heh, that's a big 10-4 good buddy. (The camera pans to a "Welcome to Bluffington" billboard on the side that says current population "19,997".)
Phil: Look out Bluffington, the Funnie family's arrived! (The billboard's population increases to 20,001.)
Doug: "Population 20,001. I guess the 1 is...me."
Episode title tagline: Doug Bags a Neematoad. Doug's foot is stuck in a paint can.